Tuesday 25 November 2014

St Vincent De Paul School Mosaic

Wow! What fun I had making this school mosaic.


The Head, the staff and pupils were amazing from day 1!  Mrs Moores asked me to create a design which was to be pupil focussed.  I was more than happy to oblige!

 The staff asked the children to create a drawing, reflecting their ideas about their school. 

I had the very lovely job of going through nearly 300 pictures drawn and coloured by all of the children. 

Well, sitting in my studio, coffee in hand and with the sound of the narrowboats sliding up the canal outside my window...it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

school mosaic

The predominant themes coming from the children were: 

Jesus, the World, friendship, the curriculum and nature.

My idea to  get the children to create ceramic shapes for the rainbow using a different curriculum area for each colour was very warmly received.  

Some of the actual drawings were used for the mosaic - Jesus, the butterflies and the Angel, in particular.

A heart shaped 'World' with Jesus in the middle, holding his hands out in love to the friendship band of children holding hands around, took centre stage in the mirrored cross.


primary school mosaic,
ST VINCENT DE PAUL CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL IN PROGRESS

Now initially, the mosaic was produced on mesh and when I went to install the mosaic, one of the parents had expressed concerns that should it ever need to be moved, this would not be able to happen.

No problem, a quick shift to put it on some wood and an extra background was included to facilitate this.

Adapting to what is needed can add excitement and take me as an artist down unexpected but wonderful journeys!

Although not on the image, as the school has a strong musical background, I suggested that the tree was made separately. I created a frame to enable a recording device in the back which the children could push a button to activate.

I was certainly happy with the result and even more pleased that the children and staff were!

Mrs Moores very kindly sent me an email thanking me and to say that 'the mosaic looks spectacular'.

:-)

school mosaic




No comments:

Post a Comment